[Courses] Re: [prog] Perl course

Alice Wood alice at schiffwood.demon.co.uk
Sun Feb 9 17:51:14 EST 2003

On Saturday 08 February 2003 16:44, Sachin wrote:
> Dear mam,
>                                                     It seems that lots of
> people are interested in learning it(which includes mine).Exactly when are
> you going to start.
>

> Sachin.R.Athreya

Wow!!!

I cannot believe the response my post has had. I would like to thank everyone
who has offered help. So yes I will be going ahead with this. I would like to
start on March 1st, and post lessons/exercises every second Saturday. I
realise that some people will think this is a little slow at the beginning. I
tend to agree, but given that the course will get more difficult and people
cannot always make weekly deadlines, two weeks seems more practical. Also, I
want to start March 1st as I haven't written anything yet and this gives time
to sort things out.

I would like to use Learning Perl as the course book (ISBN:0-596-00132-0),
this is generally known as the Llama book, and Randal Schwartz has given
permission to use bits and pieces out of this. If people do not want to go to
the expense of buying a book, there is information online at
http://learn.perl.org where there is a downloadable version of Beginning Perl
which should be useful (note this is not the same book as Learning Perl),
also there are notes at http://www.perltraining.com.au. which are very
helpful. It is not absolutely necessary to have the Learning Perl book, but
if you haven't got any material at all, this is where I would start.

My aim is to send an email to the courses list every two weeks with a
tutorial, exercises and useful links in it. I will also hope to post to a
permanent site, at the same time, an HTML version which may be slightly
expanded, so if you miss a post it should be easy to catch up.

Any comments / questions please to me at the addy above, otherwise I'll see
you bright and early March 1st for the first lesson.

Best wishes,

Alice Wood