[Courses] OT: Learners needed for experiment

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Fri Feb 7 12:01:08 EST 2003

Hi everyone,

I'm doing a summer research project (Australian summer: due at the end
of February) and need some experiment volunteers.

Who I need:

 - people who have some exposure to programming. People have done about
   one year of programming in first year college or university and
   didn't ever program before that is the target, but anyone who has
   been programming in one or two languages for six to twelve months is
   OK.

 - people who don't know Java OR don't know C (knowing one of the two or
   neither is fine, I just don't want people to know both of them
   already).

What I will need from you:

 - 10 minutes talking about some code samples on IRC or instant
   messaging. The code samples are quite simple.

Object of experiment:

 - to discover what it is that beginners think/notice when they see code
   and try to understand it

 - use this data to help teachers teach better :)

Can anyone who is willing to help out please mail me privately (use the
Reply-To address) and organise a time? Alternatively, you could just
catch me online (instructions for finding me online are at
http://puzzling.org/identity/online and I also IRC as "mary" on
irc.linuxchix.org). I'm Australian, and not online much during our
night, so email me if you can't find me online.

-Mary