[Courses] [C] Greetings C Programmers

Laura Bowser lbowser at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Oct 8 09:48:46 EST 2002

As for learning C, if you learn pascal, you're on the road to learning C.
they're similar types of languages, just different syntax.

So, as you're learning pascal in class, find a good C book, and try to figure
out what the syntax would be in C to do the exact same thing.

programming craps, little programs that "don't do anything" are the easiest
way to teach beginning programmers one or two constructs at a time.
Theoretically, what your instructor should be teaching you is the algorithms
and process of writing a program - it doesn't matter what language it's in.
Once you've learned the "how" to program, you can program in any similar
language (in this case procedural languages like pascal, C, perl)

one note: in C, you have to deal with memory directly, unlike pascal.  so this
may be slightly more complicated at first.

Laura