[Courses] [C Programming] Anyone still here?

Lindy Quick lquick at euronetworldwide.com
Thu May 30 07:20:36 EST 2002

I know that Microsoft provides the MCSD (Microsoft Certified Solutions
Developer) certification for Software developers.  I also know that the
tests for this certification are very hard mostly in part to the pure
memorization required for the Microsoft certs.  A friend of mine has been
writing VB since the early days and is one of the best programmers I have
seen.  It took him several times to pass the Microsoft tests to get his
certification.
http://www.microsoft.com/traincert/mcp/mcsd/default.asp - - - for more info

There are also tests from Sun for Java Programmers that are similar to the
Microsoft tests but on the Java platform.
http://suned.sun.com/US/certification/java/ - - - for more info

I think the reason that most people don't get these certifications is due to
the difficulty.  From talking with several people they concur that often the
questions on the test are not true to life and you are required to learn to
program the way they think is correct, even though you may know a better way
to achieve the same results.

I personally I am one of the people that has some of the Microsoft certs
without the experience.  I was required to obtain the SQL Administrator
certification without ever having seen the application at the time I took
the test.  It took me twice but thanks to study materials I was able to pass
and had never used the application. (Trust me I'm really not proud of this
fact)

I wish there was a good way to test the skills people have for
certifications.  Granted some try and get close but many such as the
Microsoft Certs are way off base.  Any one have any suggestions as to how we
could adequately test people better? (or is that a question that we have
been trying to answer since testing was first started?)

Lindy