[Courses] Web Database Security

Kai MacTane kmactane at GothPunk.com
Tue May 7 10:51:08 EST 2002

At 5/6/02 08:46 PM , jennyw wrote:
>Looks interesting ... I just saw an article on it and session management
>using Apache::Session at http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=4143
>(I'm sure you've come across this now too).

I hadn't yet, but I'll take a look at it. Thanks!

>I've found Perl very useful in the past, and still use it from time to
>time.  But maintainability always concerns me.  There are so many ways to
>do things in Perl that it can be really easy to write obfuscated code.
>Some people might argue that it's not possible to write Perl code that's
>not obfuscated. ;-)

My response to that is:

http://www.gothpunk.com/kmactane/software/mlm-command/mlm-command

I think Perl has an excessive reputation for obfuscation because many
people's first (and sometimes major or even *only*) exposure to it is in
JAPH .sigs, the "This shirt is a munition" t-shirt (RSA in 4 lines of
Perl), and so on. Which is equivalent to forming one's opinion of C based
solely on the entries in the Obfuscated C contest. And my coding style,
some of which you can see at that URL, is partly a reaction to that.

                                                 --Kai MacTane
"This trembling, adored,
  Tousled bird mad girl..."
                                                 --The Cure,