[Courses] Web Database Security

Kai MacTane kmactane at GothPunk.com
Mon May 6 20:06:46 EST 2002

At 5/6/02 07:38 PM , jennyw wrote:
>One answer is to use sessions.
>[snip]
>The idea with sessions is that once you authenticate a user, they get a
>token. This can be passed in the URL, as a form variable, or whatever. You
>do not need to use a cookie, although it's often easier to do so.

So essentially, I should use some already-available session-management
package to do what I was planning on writing myself? That makes sense.
(After I posted my last message, I found myself thinking, "You know, this
has the feeling of a problem that someone else has already solved. Am I
trying to reinvent the wheel here?")

>I don't think you mentioned your development language ... If you use PHP,
>here's an article you might want to check out:

You're right, I didn't. I've built this system using the HTML::Mason
extension to mod_perl. If you're not familiar with it, and you want to do
some cool Web-dev stuff with Perl and HTML, check out www.masonhq.com.

Methinks I should look into CPAN session-management modules...

                                                 --Kai MacTane