[Courses] [Security] ICMP being blocked?

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Thu May 2 13:40:39 EST 2002

I've got a question too, actually.

When I switched to debian-testing, my network card seems to have gotten
reconfigured or something so that I can't seem to ping anyone outside of my
local network anymore.  I could ping my gateway, even when I used the
non-local address to get to it, but nothing else I tried (google.com,
ncf.ca, linuxchix.org, and a handful of IPs...) would reply.  DNS was
working fine so it wasn't a lookup issue (that's what I thought at first)
and I could browse the web and ssh in to various machines, but no ping for me!

I thought it was just some weird default iptables setting in debian, but
when I bothered to go look, as far as I could tell, iptables isn't running.
(nor ipchains, although my kernel being 2.4.17 or so, it wouldn't be able
to run anyhow, right?)  Is there any other thing that might be causing ICMP
to be blocked?

I know my gateway hasn't changed its settings, but my pcmcia config files
have changed. I had pcmcia-cs installed even though I'm using the in-kernel
drivers and so I got a new batch of config files and reconfigured those
rather than overwriting them with the old ones... I'll probably go back to
the old ones and see if that solves the problem, but since I don't have it
on the network right now it seems silly to try and guess what might be
wrong without being able to test.

I suppose it's possible that everywhere I tried to ping was just rejecting
me, but it seems unlikely.

  Terri