[Courses] [C] Next C topic: Project Proposal

Jenn Vesperman jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au
Fri Jul 19 10:21:30 EST 2002

On Fri, 2002-07-19 at 05:10, Conor Daly wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 12:27:32PM -0400 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
> Cynthia Grossen thought:
> >
> > Are there any useful programs we can write to do things on our systems at
> > home? Maybe a program that would perform some onerous system task that
> > usually requires a bunch of commands. I vaguely remember writing C prgs at
> > school that would report memory usage and things of that ilk about my
> > computer.
>
> Might I suggest a program to calculate WeightWatchers(TM) points as a
> suitable vehicle for learning about a number of the suggested topics? Not
> so much an onerous system task (but vital nontheless to those of us who
> have to watch!).

I would strongly vote AGAINST it, actually. I know that I have serious
issues with dieting, from watching my mother ruin her health trying to
maintain an artificially-determined body weight.

'dieting'-related issues damage a lot of women in Western cultures -
statistically, we have a very good chance of half of us having
clinically-significant eating disorders, and another quarter having
sub-clinical eating 'issues' like mine.

Let's avoid bringing those issues up needlessly. If anyone -wants- to
discuss eating disorders, they're welcome to on grrltalk, grrls-only or
the IRC channels. But let's not push buttons in 'courses'. :)

Jenn V.

jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au     http://anthill.echidna.id.au/~jenn/