[Courses] Some gcc options

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Tue Jul 16 01:23:08 EST 2002

On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 07:56:58AM -0700, Dave Killion wrote:
> I'm also relatively new to *nix programming/compiling.  I've seen
> -Wall added when I compile stuff I've downloaded.  What specifically
> does -Wall do?

It literally means "Warnings - all"

The man page describes its:

        All  of  the above `-W' options combined.  These are all the
        options which pertain to usage that we recommend avoiding and
        that we believe is easy to avoid, even in conjunction with
        macros.

The pertinent part is "... pertain to usage that we recommend avoiding
and that we believe is easy to avoid".

So basically it's whinging about what gcc considers poor usage (likely
to lead to errors).

Check the man page for what the -W options actually are, it's quite
comprehensive.

-Mary.