[Courses] [Python] Welcome

Sue Stones suzo at bigpond.net.au
Mon Jul 1 22:39:34 EST 2002

Welcome to the Python programming course.  I am really glad to have some
people that want to do the course.   And I hope that you are going to enjoy this
and get something useful from it.

Every course is run differently, and so let me start by discussing how I intend
run this one.  I had considered using  Mark Lutz's "Programming Python" which I
have.  But it was suggested that I use "Learning Python" by Mark Lutz & David
Asher.  (both O'Reilly books)  This would be more appropriate to more
inexperienced
programmers.  Some people indicated they didn't want to buy a book, or wanted to
but didn't have the means.  So...

It doesn't really matter what resource that you use, find one or more that suits
you
and your experience.  (I will include some links to online recourses).
Programming is
a practical skill, so the best way to learn is to practice it.  So, the way I
propose
to do this is to set some short assignments, working through different  parts of
the
language.  Everyone can post any questions, comments, rantings, and assignment
solutions to the mailing list.  The rate at which we progress will depend on how
fast
you are.  That is we will progress on to the next topic and assignment only as
most
people have finished the last assignment.  So if we start off eager, we can move
fast,
if people are busy with other things we will move slower.  If we find some
concept is
harder we can spend more time on it.

Now before anyone panics about assignments, of course they aren't compulsory,
but if
you don't want to do them or just one of them, please let me know so that I am
not
waiting for you.  You can just comment on other people's answers if you like.
The
assignments will be small and are a means of learning NOT assessment!!*!

This system works best if you are vocal about what you are learning.  Post a
summary if you
like, think up questions, or more assignments.  Anything that you say will help
other people
so don't hold back.

I was thinking of roughly following "Learning Python" and ordered the book, but
it is on backorder, so I have no ides when it might get here.  Please let me
know whether you have the same trouble.

ASSIGNMENT ONE!
Introduce yourself on the list, tell us what programming experience you have,
and what
resource you are planning to use for the course.  Are you waiting for a book to
arrive.
Also post a quote that is related to why this language is called "Python"

I look forward to hearing from you.

sue

The Learning Python page.  http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/lpython/toc.html

About Python.  http://home.rmi.net/~lutz/about-python.html