[Courses] [C] a good tutorial

KWMelvin kwmelvin at intrex.net
Sun Dec 8 07:28:32 EST 2002

There is an excellent C tutorial based on the famous "K&R" book:

    http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/cclass/cclass.html

For many years after the C programing language was developed at Bell
Labs by Kernigan & Ritchie in the early 1970's; their book, _The C
Programming Language_ was the ONLY reference to the C language. Even to
this day, _The C Programming Language 2E_ is what many experienced
C programmers recommend as THE book to learn C (after all, K&R is the
book they learned C with). The "problem" with the book (known as "K&R")
is that it is very terse.  Steve Summit, the fellow who wrote the above
tutorial, based his tutorial on K&R, and it was intended as notes to
make K&R less terse.  Over the years, Summit's tutorial has been fleshed
out to be a stand-alone tutorial; even though it still contains the
references to the K&R book, for those who want to follow K&R as they
are working through the tutorial.