[Courses] [security] Crypto Scientists Crack Prime Problem

Hamster hamster at hamsternet.org
Tue Aug 13 12:24:14 EST 2002

Raven, thank you very much for posting that article! I love this stuff.

But I'm having a fundamental difficulty with one paragraph in that article that a link was included for, and I'm not sure which one of us is wrong - the article or me..
To quote : "...uses two huge prime numbers and multiplies them together to produce an even bigger prime ..."
I thought that if you multiplied *any* two numbers together, the result could *never* be prime because you now have instantly at least 4 factors - 1, itself and the two numbers you just multiplied.
Is this correct? Or have I somehow missed a second definition of prime?

Looks like rot13 is still the safest algorithm out there hey ;-)

Hamster