[Announce] new course: Absolute Beginning C Programming

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Sat Jan 28 22:58:31 UTC 2012

Hey all,

I've been going back and refreshing my moldy old C coding skills, which is a
golden opportunity to launch a Linuxchix course for coding and C beginners.

Why C, you may ask? Why not something new and shiny like Python or Ruby or PHP
or some rock star codey thingy? I'll tell you why-- because C is a fundamental
language and it gets into gnarly stuff the glossy newcomers shine over and hide
away.  If you develop a decent grasp of C you will have useful knowledge that
will serve you well for many different languages, and you won't fall into dumb
attitudes like "It's ok to be inefficient and sloppy because everyone has quad-
core computers anyway" or "I have no idea why it's doing this, but oh well who
cares."

I'll use gcc, the GNU compiler collection. There are many compilers and I
don't want to teach many compilers, I want to give literal specific examples
with gcc instead of forcing you to figure it out on your own. gcc is fine and
when you get to know it fairly well then you can try out others, and engage in
fun flamewars over which one is best.

Absolute Beginning C Programming starts Sunday Feb. 5. All you have to do is
subscribe to the Courses list. See you there!

Carla

Carla Schroder, ace Linux guru and howto author
541-932-4817 PT
carla at tuxcomputing.com