[Announce] Call for Participation: Grace Hopper Celebration for Women in Computing (deadline Mar 16)

Mary Gardiner mary at adainitiative.org
Thu Jan 26 21:04:31 UTC 2012

(As sent to me by the Anita Borg Institute)

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION: 2012 Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing

http://gracehopper.org/2012/participate/call-for-participation/

===== OVERVIEW =====

The 12th annual Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing (GHC)
has opened its Call for Participation. The annual conference,
presented by the Anita Borg Institute for Women and Technology, is the
world’s largest gathering of women in computing. The Grace Hopper
Celebration will take place from October 3 – 6, 2012 at the Baltimore
Convention Center in Baltimore, Maryland. This year’s theme “Are We
There Yet?” recognizes that technology and the culture of technology
are continuously evolving but there are also concrete goals we are
striving to achieve.

At the Grace Hopper Celebration, leading researchers present their
current work while special sessions focus on the role of women in
today’s technology fields, including computer science, information
technology, research and engineering. The technical conference
features well known keynote speakers and invited technical speakers,
panels, workshops, new investigator technical papers, PhD forums,
technical posters, birds of a feather sessions, the ACM Student
Research Competition and an Awards Celebration. The attendees who
range from students to executives use this global platform to get
inspired, stay on top of emerging trends, learn and network.

You are invited to forward this Call for Participation to others who
may be interested.

===== IMPORTANT DATES =====

To stay on top of deadlines we recommend you subscribe to our email
newsletter at http://anitaborg.org/get-involved/subscribe/.

* Deadline for submission of Program Abstract:  Friday, March 16th 2012
*
Notifications:
Thursday, May 17th 2012

* Registration Opens:
Friday, June 1st 2012

* Deadline for submission of Final Program Content:
Monday, June 25th 2012

* Conference Dates:
Oct 3rd-6th  2012

===== SESSION TRACKS =====

Submissions are being accepted in the following tracks. Click on the
track name for full details:
* Birds of a Feather (BOFs)
* New Investigators Papers
* Panels, Workshops and Presentations
* PhD Forum
* Posters and SRC Posters
* Social Collaboration Track
* Women of Underrepresented Groups Track

===== GUIDELINES =====

Given the diverse audience at the Grace Hopper Celebration, please
review the following guidelines prior to submitting content:

1. Your subject should not be something specific to your organization.

2. If you have a panel, the panelists need to span across
organizations, institutions and/or companies, with a panel limit of
five people including the moderator. Cross-organizational or
interdisciplinary discussions are highly encouraged.

3. We encourage submissions that promote diverse and international
participation.

4. Avoid anything that sounds like an infomercial.

5.	Download the proposal template and use it to structure your
proposal. This provides necessary information in a consistent format
for the reviewers. We have also provided two samples of successful
proposals from previous GHC conferences.
* Template: http://gracehopper.org/2012/assets/GHC-2012-Proposal-Template.doc
* Sample 1: http://gracehopper.org/2011/assets/Sample-Proposal-1.pdf
* Sample 2: http://gracehopper.org/2011/assets/Sample-Proposal-2.pdf

6. We encourage submissions in line with the theme of the conference
“Are we there yet?” in the areas of innovation within a company, from
academia, or from individual contributors. Technical submissions that
discuss the present and future state of technologies are encouraged.
For example: Are we there leading technology companies? Are we there
creating technology trends? How are we encouraging our girls in Math &
Science? Are we there breaking stereotypes?

The organizing committees will review all abstracts submitted to the
conference on the basis of a set of criteria including the quality of
the submission and its relevance to this conference, originality and
scope of the subject matter.

For complete guidelines on submissions for each session track see
http://gracehopper.org/2012/participate/call-for-participation/.

The Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing is a program of the
Anita Borg Institute for Women and Technology.
http://gracehopper.org/

http://anitaborg.org/