[Announce] Women and Open Source BoF at OSCON - July 23rd, Portland, Oregon

Sulamita Garcia sulamita at linuxchix.org.br
Mon Jul 2 19:44:31 UTC 2007

Let's all talk! Please spread this invitation to people you believe would
be interested, specially women groups!

Women at Open Source Community

Track: BoFs (Birds of a Feather)
Date: Monday, July 23
Time: 6:30pm - 7:30pm
Location: D136

Moderator: Sulamita Garcia, Latin America Open Source Strategy Manager,
Intel/Linuxchix

Two years ago the FLOSSPOS research showed that just 2% of open source
developers are women. We have been talking why that happens for some years
now, and we don't want to keep explaining that forever. We want to discuss
actions to increase this number. That IT is a field with less female
participants is a fact, but even so, the average is 28%, according with
the same research. So, how can we make free and open source software
movement really free to any gender? The hostess of this BOF are Linuxchix
participants, but we invite all other groups which work with female
encouraging in FOSS to join us, like Debian Women, Ubuntu Women, Devchix,
etc. Linuxchix is a community that is 8 years old now, how can we serve as
a base for more specific groups?

LinuxChix is a community for women who like Linux, and for anyone who
wants to support women in computing. We are an international group of Free
Software users and developers, founded in 1999 with the aim of "supporting
women in Linux." Founder Deb Richardson described it as an alternative to
the "locker room atmosphere" found in some online technical forums and
gave LinuxChix two core rules: "be polite" and "be helpful". LinuxChix is
now many things to many people, but it remains primarily a group for
supporting women in computing, specifically in Open Source/Free
Software/Software Libre computing.

http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/os2007/view/e_sess/14804

--
Brain: Prepare yourself for your 15 minutes of fame
Pink: after that, can I have 15 minutes of macarena?