[Actionchix] *VOTE - ChixBits regular columns

Selbak, Rolla N rolla.n.selbak at intel.com
Fri Nov 9 20:53:20 UTC 2007

Hey Chix,

So I gathered all our ideas from the regular columns discussion thread.

I was thinking with regards to the quarterly articles vs.
when-article-is-done, maybe the regular columns can be the ones that are
published on a whenever-article-is-ready basis to satiate the readers?
Then the non-regular columns can be the ones that come out in the
quarterly, along with the most recent regular columns.  What do you
think?  Voting on this below.

So three issues to vote on.  1. How many regular columns?  2. List what
they should be? (and are you volunteering to write for it regularly)  3.
Quarterly articles vs. whenever-article-is done.

1) How many regular columns should ChixBits have?  [CHOOSE ONE]

A) 3
B) 4
C) 5
D) 6
E) Other (specify)

2) Which columns should they be? [CHOOSE AS MANY AS YOU VOTED IN
QUESTION #1] - Also specify if you are volunteering for writing the
column on a regular basis.

- A column that covers and lists women-tech events.
- Open Source project of the month.
- Monthly feature on popular applications that you maybe not know use
open source software.
- Popular Media: A column reviewing open source music, videos, etc.
- New Linux-based gadgets to watch out for.
- Linux advice column (where users submit their questions, the columnist
answers them).
- Column on linux Development Tools: How people are using these tools
and what projects they are using them for.
- Column on How-To: How to create your own blog/journal (web-enabled vs
not web-enabled), how create graphics, etc.
- Column on how children can use Linux: Covering what version of linux
is the most plug-n-play vs version of linux for tinkering, programs for
various ages, education programs for various ages, open-source projects
geared towards children, using linux to help with homework, playing
games, etc.
- A column answering newbie questions (either an advice column, or
FAQ-style for common/expected questions).
- A programming column, without language favoritism (eg, how to do X in
perl; tools that do Y for ruby; neat ideas for your java code;
language-neutral tools for managing code...)
- Coolest Linux art of the month - share art/themes.
- Fix it yourself - short how to on Linux utilities.
- What I learned this month - share experiences / scenarios of things
broken and how it got fixed.
- Look before you upgrade - share experiences on upgrades to bleeding
edge OS / software upgrades.
- Braindumps - Neat tips/ short tricks in Linux/ programming languages (
Perl, OS).
- I wish I had this feature - get talking about what you want to see in
Linux distros.
- Internet safety & defending yourself (how to read email headers, how
to report abuse/harassment, etc.)
- What's wrong with this picture?  (An examination of something
non-female-friendly in IT, its impacts, advantages of changing,
disadvantages of changing, not a rant, but a balanced, logical
examination of several sides of the issue, more identifying and
exploring than requiring action - designed to make people think and
respect each other)
- What if?  (Short Fiction that explores the themes and spirit of
linuxchix, any genre: SF, historical fiction, memoirs, etc.)
- The newest, shiniest gadget
- Chix conference report
- Choosing hardware (series)
- Troubleshooting
- Workplace issues
- Toot your Horn
- Books and Resources (multilingual)
- Women in Computing Profile
- Chix chapter news

3) Regular columns will be published whenever-ready, non-regular columns
will be published quarterly along with the most recent regular columns.

A) Yes
B) No, I have a better idea, it is (specify)

Thanks,

rs