[Actionchix] Status of new website: update

Mary Gardiner mary at puzzling.org
Wed Mar 14 23:49:56 UTC 2007

There are currently two new website initiatives in progress:

 1. A prototype of a new www.linuxchix.org site being developed in
    Drupal.

    This effort is being led by Brenda Wallace and assisted by Angela
    Byron. Brenda is a professional Drupal user and developer, and
    Angela is a lead Drupal developer.

    Their mandate is to produce a prototype Drupal site consisting of
    the core information about LinuxChix fairly quickly for evaluation,
    since a new website is well overdue.  The core requirements they are
    working to are: information about LinuxChix, including our mailing
    lists and chapters.

    You may suggest additional features to them (such as translations,
    moving more of the additional content) but Brenda will make a
    decision about whether this should be left to a second round of
    implementation.

 2. A separate courses webpage, probably to be eventually housed at
    courses.linuxchix.org is being developed by Penny Leach, using the
    Moodle courseware. This effort is proceeding, I think, independently
    of the Drupal prototype.

    When it is ready, I am sure Penny would like to have people willing
    to run courses on Moodle.

At this stage, I'd like to ask that people send suggestions and feedback
OFF LIST to each of the project leads: Brenda for
Drupal/www.linuxchix.org and Penny for Moodle/courses.linuxchix.org
(they are Cc-ed) rather than to the list. Once the prototypes are ready
we will discuss them on the volunteers list before deciding whether to
adopt them. They may then ask for additional volunteers for moving
content and ongoing maintainence.

Please keep in mind that they are both hoping to have something for
evaluation fairly quickly, and may well decide that your feature is not
able to be included in their prototype. Consider whether or not your
feature is truly crucial before asking for it to be included in the
prototype.

-Mary