[Actionchix] Plone is installed

Jen-Mei Wu jenw at colorfulexpressions.com
Tue Sep 5 00:50:28 UTC 2006

Plone 2.5 is installed on the production server:

http://www.linuxchix.org:8001/LinuxChix

Sorry this took so long. The actual install took a few minutes. It was
the testing that took forever -- I was trying to be extra cautious and
wanted to disturb what was there as little as possible. I ended up
creating several test boxes to see what would have the least impact. I
came up with an install plan and installed it this afternoon. The first
thing I tried was to go to the current Web site. It was down. I am sooo
glad I looked at that before I installed anything. ;-)  I restarted the
current zope (2.6) and the site came back up.  Does anyone know if the
site has gone down before?  The Zope process was still running -- it was
just showing an error page (if I had been really with it I would have
taken down the error).

After I restarted the current site, I installed zope 2.9 using apt-get.
This installs Zope without any instances.  I used:

/usr/lib/zope2.9/bin/mkzopeinstance.py

to create a new instance called linuxchix
(/var/lib/zope2.9/instance/linuxchix).

I changed the owner of all these files to the zope user, then edited
linuxchix/etc/zope.conf to change the port to 8001. I tested this with
linuxchix/bin/runzope, and it ran fine.

I downloaded the source tarball for Plone 2.5 and put all the folders
inside of its root folder into linuxchix/Products (except for Five[1]).
I also added the DocFinderTab product.

After testing it using runzope again, I tested using the init script
that the Debian package includes and it runs fine.

The above instructions are an abbreviation of:

    http://plone.org/documentation/how-to/setup-from-source
    http://plone.org/products/plone/releases/2.5 ([1]: This page
explains the need to delete the Five directory when using Zope 2.9)

taking into account that Zope 2.9 is installed using Debian packages.

If you need the admin password, please send me your gpg public key and
I'll send it back to you (Mary -- do you want to coordinate who gets
this password?). By the way, my gpg public key is below my signature.

To do items:

* Permissions. I didn't change permissions on the site, so people can
view pages anonymously. I did add a robots.txt file, though, so search
engines (if they behave) shouldn't index this site. I can't think of an
easy way to do this. If there's a way to use http auth in apache for
proxied pages, that would work, but I've never tried this.  Changing
permissions in Zope would be unwieldy.

* Apache. I didn't want to muck with the Apache config before finding
out what people want ... do you want the site to appear on
test.linuxchix.org? Or would you like it on a different IP but still
answerable to www.linuxchix.org (requiring people to edit a host file or
local DNS to see the new site at the new IP)? Or something entirely
different?

* Decide what other Plone products we want installed. This is a vanilla
install ... nothing extra has been included.

--
Jen-Mei Wu
Colorful Expressions, Inc. -- Help for your four-letter computer days!

gpg public key: