[Actionchix] Website wishlist

Jane Andersen binaryjane at gmail.com
Sat May 20 05:01:57 EST 2006

Re: phpBB

The phpBB gang have been cooking a new version for quite a while which
is supposed to be a very large improvement. The release date will not
be announced until they are actually ready to release it, so I
wouldn't count eggs and all that.

I have quite a lot of experience installing, modifying, and maintaining phpBB.

My two cents is that it the current release
- is huge (code-wise), and has lots of features that probably aren't
needed on a linuxchix forum
- has some funny redundancies - especially if you start modding it heavily
- is not particularly secure

And like Chris said: the search functionality is less than optimal.

There are hacks for two-way mailing, but they are resource heavy (I
know we have this shiny new server and all, but we may as well put it
to work doing sleek things)

That said - I'd be happy to work on installation and hacking if people
want phpBB :)

Kat

--
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.
- Albert Einstein -