[Actionchix] Logo ;)

Clytie Siddall clytie at riverland.net.au
Wed Mar 29 14:01:42 EST 2006

Akkana, your points highlighted those issues very effectively: I'd
had them fuzzily crawling around in my mind somewhere, but couldn't
quite work them out. Thankyou. :)

I also handed them on to Trinh, because they're important points for
any artist to consider, when designing for an audience.

On 27/03/2006, at 5:29 AM, Akkana Peck wrote (in conclusion):

> Re the lettering: 6, 9, and 3 all look pretty (I actually like 8
> better except that the L isn't obviously an L to me) but I have a
> question: are they hand drawn, or are they using specific fonts?
> If they're using specific fonts, are those fonts licensed so that we
> can use them in different ways or at different sizes? I ask because
> Debian at some point in the distant past chose to use a logo font
> that isn't free, so anyone who wants to make variants on the logo
> has to go buy this font from somewhere. Let's please not do that.
> With any luck Val's friend is already aware of these issues and
> wouldn't use commercial fonts for a free-licensed logo.

Font-licensing issues: OUCH. Let's not go there.

Debian is currently testing both Freefont and Dejavu for distribution
(they've asked me to test those fonts for Vietnamese, which is a test
case for both Unicode support and fonts), so they're viable choices
in general. The artist, as you say, should know which fonts are
available. I don't have much to do with ornamental/title fonts, but
there are some beautiful OFL [1] fonts around.

Việt hóa phần mềm tự do)

[1] Open Font Licence: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html