[Actionchix] Re: Translations

jennyw jennyw at dangerousideas.com
Mon Mar 27 08:45:13 EST 2006

Clytie Siddall wrote:
 > In mentioning this, I just want to get things started effectively: we
haven't decided who is going to co-ordinate the Linuxchix translation
effort, nor how it will be done (and when).

I nominate Clytie! ;-) You sure sound like you know a lot about this.

A question about information architecture ... do we envision that the
organization of URLs will be similar between the different languages
(with the URLs being written in different languages)? Should URLs begin
with a language code, like http://www.linuxchix.org/en/kernel-hacking?
Or should we have different domains for each language, like
http://es.linuxchix.org/, http://cn.linuxchix.org/, etc.?

I admit I'm completely unfamiliar with how these are organized at other
sites, except that at ruby-lang.org, they use /en or /ja depending on
language.

Also, do we envision merely keeping translations of the (currently
all-English) content in as many languages as possible, or will each
language have potentially original and unique content as well?

Jen