Translations (was: Re: [Actionchix] Migration to Plone

Clytie Siddall clytie at riverland.net.au
Sun Mar 26 12:36:01 EST 2006

On 24/03/2006, at 1:56 PM, Mary wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 23, 2006, jennyw wrote:
>> * Figuring out who wants to be involved. If you want to volunteer,
>> please let me know! Or just post here. Also, let me know what
>> portions
>> you can help with.
>
> A few people already have. I think this is the list:
>
>  Coding of migration: you, Gloria
>
>  HTML tidy up: Chris, Lisa, Darlene, Jennifer, Ruth, Karine

This seems a good time to start collecting some names for
translation. I doubt if we'll be getting started for a while, but
Ubuntu-Women are also starting translations, a bit before us, and I'm
co-ordinating that effort, which includes some mentor work with
newish translators.

I'm encouraging prospective and current translators from U-W and/or
Linuxchix to join the i18n-mentors group [1], where we can talk i18n
until our eyes bubble without cluttering up the main list. This is
working for U-W, but if it doesn't suit here, that's OK, we can talk
here.

What I'm hoping to do, is use the translation process for U-W and
Linuxchix to share information, mentor newish translators and
<crosses fingers> encourage more women into OSS i18n. OSS translators
are commonly cross-project workers, so it's useful for us to compare
projects and have central resources.

So, firstly, do we have a wiki where we can create a translation info
page, where people can put their details in a translation team list?
(This is working well for U-W, so I also suggest it here.)

It would be useful at this stage if we can collect names from people
who are willing to translate, and if they are also willing to sit in
on the i18n-mentor group, where a lot of these initial issues will be
discussed, before translation of Linuxchix really gets started. (This
will save doing a lot of things twice.)

For reference, here is the U-W translation team page (just created):

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWomen/Translators

In mentioning this, I just want to get things started effectively: we
haven't decided who is going to co-ordinate the Linuxchix translation
effort, nor how it will be done (and when).

Việt hóa phần mềm tự do)

[1] i18n-mentor is a Google Group, invitation-only to keep it small
and manageable. Current and prospective translators, please email me,
and I will add you to the group. :)