[Actionchix] Design of linuxchix.org

Sulamita Garcia toskinha at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 23:51:35 EST 2006

On 3/15/06, Mary <mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org> wrote:

> At this stage, while the discussion of the new CMS is finishing up, we
> can talk a little about what we want from the new design. Here's
> some things that came up:
>
> - attractive :)
>
> - light-weight
>
> - standards compliant
>
> - accessible
>
> Anything else? Val Henson has commissioned work on a logo, so logo work
> will not be needed. (Design colour and logo colour may influence each
> other of course.)

I constantly talk with some designer friends, as I don't know anything about
design. What they say is that we first thing about the idea of what we want
people think when they saw the site. Then you choose colors and effects or
how to organize the information.

I *do* want commercial use to be allowed because otherwise we have to
> stop using your design the instant we sell anything (and there's often
> calls for us to develop T-Shirts and the like). LinuxChix is
> not-for-profit, but we may do some commerical things in future.

 I think a long time ago thinkgeek.com had some linuxchix tshirts and mugs
but as they don't sell it enough, they stop doing it. I believe LinuxChix
grown up enough to they do it again. And also chapters could do it in their
own country. For example, I just buy things from Thinkgeek when a friend
goes to USA. The taxes for send to Brazil are too high.
We sell some things here, as tshirts[1] and buttons[2]. They help to us pay
the domain and small things. It is not a great money, but always help with
something, even for just some tshirts to give to audience in talks or
conferences.

[1] http://www.erro404.com.br/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=117
[2] http://midia.linuxchix.org.br/pin.jpg

--
"A little less conversation, a little more action please"
°v°  Sulamita Garcia