[Actionchix] HTML helping hands

chris lists at semioticpixels.com
Thu Mar 16 16:05:08 EST 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-15 at 20:13 -0800, Akkana Peck wrote:

> Of course, syntactically incorrect tags that really are unclosed
> are often ambiguous and can cause problems with CSS. That's a
> whole separate issue and can happen with xhtml as well as html 4.
I was thinking mostly of the nightmare of attempting to position
unclosed <div>s, etc. Since I haven't had to work with html 4 in 6
years, my memory is a little fuzzy, but seems to me that styling
unclosed tags was inconsistent across browsers.

For what it's worth, even html 4 recommended closing tags, it just
wasn't part of the standard.

> Do we care whether
> volunteers can compose locally then paste/upload into the CMS,
> rather than using the embedded editor?
I think it's important. I think this was an early requirement that was
articulated when this discussion began.

Cheers
chris