[Actionchix] Choice of CMS

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Wed Mar 15 21:25:44 EST 2006

This is the discussion I'd really like to get over fairly fast. At the
moment, the loose consensus view is Plone, primarily because the
current site is already on Zope and our current admins have some
Zope expertise.

Here's the requirements:
 - ability to maintain current site (check www.linuxchix.org) structure
   and content
 - ability for multiple users to login and edit pages
 - ability to have a front page newsfeed with RSS or Atom feeds
 - good support for our designers: ability to apply a skin across the
   entire site
 - mature codebase

Here's some things that are nearly essential:
 - ability to retain current URLs

Here's some things that would be good:
 - automatic (or somewhat automatic) index/sidebar generation
 - calendar of upcoming events
 - ability to manage multiple sites (on different domains) with one
   backend/auth system -- chapters might like this
 - ability to either backend into a version control system or maintain
   revision history itself
 - ability for people to use their own editor on their own machines and
   then send/upload/save pages onto the site

So, are there any standout alternatives to Plone for this? Here's what
we need to know in your response:

 1. What language is it written in?
 2. Which of the above features does it have?
 3. Have you used it?
 4. Have you used anything else? How does it compare?

Please respond by Sunday March 19. I'll almost certainly take the
candidates to Dancer Vesperman who is our sysadmin to discuss the final
choice.

-Mary