[Actionchix] Simpler designs

Julie Bovee Hill joulie at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 16:52:44 UTC 2006

On 6/29/06, Mary Gardiner wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 29, 2006, Terri Oda wrote:
> > http://terri.zone12.com/linuxchix/index-blue-orange.html
>
> I think this is my favourite of your designs... except for two things:

My favorite also and I agree with Mary's two concerns.

I'd like to add a more general thought, though. While I personally
like the more simplified text-based designs because they're very
functional, I suspect they're going to be much more appealing to
tech-oriented people (developers, sys admins) rather than less
technical Linux users. I may be totally wrong about this, but my
feeling is that they have a "get down to business", masculine and
uninviting feeling about them, reminding me of the very male
surroundings at my workplace. I'm accustomed to that to the point
where I hardly notice anymore, but new people we might want to attract
may not be so hardened. I'd like to see something with a softer look
that could appeal to a wider audience.

I also want to appologize that I don't have time to work on an
alternate proposal right now. I just recently committed all of my
spare time to putting up a new website in the "ASAP" timeframe. Funny,
it's a male-oriented site and I think I'm finding that easier to work
on than a more feminine site would be. How sad!

Julie