[Actionchix] Simpler designs

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Thu Jun 29 07:39:14 UTC 2006

There was a call for some simpler designs that were largely text-based,
and I think it's probably easier to describe likes/dislikes with some
concrete examples.  So here's a few simplistic css designs:

http://terri.zone12.com/linuxchix/

Some warnings:
1. They've only been tested in firefox 1.5 on linux
2. The text isn't right, I just screen-scraped and did some menus from
memory of the proposed architecture.
3. I haven't done all those little tweaks necessary to make things look
polished.  Think of this as a rough prototype you scrawled on a napkin.
:)
4. They adhere to no known usability standards.
5. They aren't all using exactly the same xhtml, but they're similar.
6. They're mostly blue, just for Val.
7. Please don't blame me if they make your eyes bleed. ;)

The aim here is that people can then say "Okay, I like side menus, but
that's way too wide... how about this?" and show what they mean.  In
case legality becomes important, I hereby grant linuxchix members the
rights to copy, modify and use these designs with the goal to produce a
new website design for linuxchix.

Here's some descriptions so when you all post about how much you hate
them, you can quote the description so people know which design you
mean without clicking on my poorly named links. :)

http://terri.zone12.com/linuxchix/index-bars.html
Large blue (well, maybe it's more heather coloured?  It's the colour
from the chix's shirt.) bars on a white background.   Something about
this colour screams girly at me, but your mileage may vary.   Side and
top menu (although the options currently shown are just placeholders).
Smaller coloured robotux logo.

http://terri.zone12.com/linuxchix/index-blue-orange.html
I know Val said she wanted calming blues, but I thought it would be fun
to use the orange accent colour in one design.  left side menu, larger
robotux, text wrapping underneath the menu rather than a big white bar.
  Headers have orange lines underneath as accents.

http://terri.zone12.com/linuxchix/index-blue-top.html
Top menu only, blue header bar, rest simple black-on-white with large
robotux to the right.  I probably should have made the text wrap under
the tux, now that I look at it again.

http://terri.zone12.com/linuxchix/index-blue.html
Simple two-column using the ponytail girl at computer logo.

http://terri.zone12.com/linuxchix/index-sunburst.html
A noisier design using the sunburst logo.   Still black on white for
most of the text, but there's a background blue panel/outline.  The
footer is actually white on blue.

  Terri