[Actionchix] African problems

Jennifer Vesperman jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au
Fri Oct 14 19:26:09 EST 2005

I'm chatting via email with a student from Africa (Ghana) who is
struggling to learn to program. He or she (Is Kofi a boy's or girl's
name?) has scrounged the shell of a Pentium II machine, no hard drive,
no OS. S/he has access to internet cafes, but no personal net access and
no USB pen to download stuff to take home.

I was wondering if anyone from our richer parts of the world would be
willing to donate old equipment, CDs with free OS copies, and USB pen
drives either to Kofi, or perhaps to our African, Brazilian, Indian
(etc) chix to pass around?

The first to mail me with an offer to donate hard drives, USB pens and
an Ubuntu CD set will get their email addresses and offers forwarded to
Kofi. (You're also offering to donate the postage, sorry 'bout that.)

The rest will get referred to our developing-world chapters. If anyone
wants to coordinate a donation scheme, let volunteers at linuxchix.org know
and we'll give you a spot on the website and whatever help we can.

Talking with Kofi has made me realise just how inexpensive by rich-world
standards a REAL help can be to developing-world people.

Jenn V.