[Techtalk] seeking backup solution recommendations

Little Girl littlergirl at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 18:16:53 UTC 2020

Hey there,

Meryll Larkin wrote:

>I'm searching online too, but I thought emailing this list might
>help me as some of you probably have experience with different
>backup solutions.

>Suggestions?  Ideas?

This isn't actually a backup program, but I use Grsync, which is a
front end for the rsync command. It's fully customizable, lightning
fast, rock solid, and what it excels at is copying X to Y in exactly
the way you specify.

You can save profiles in it so that you can have one-click ability to
start a copy if the profile you'd like to use is selected and three
clicks to get  to it and start it if it's not selected. I'm thinking
you could create a backup profile to copy your files from X location
to Y location. You could create a restore profile to copy those
backups from Y location to X location. Then you just need to choose
the right profile for the task you'd like to perform.

It offers a dry-run button so that you can simulate and examine the
results of the copy before actually doing it, which is one additional
click (followed by a bit of sleuthing through the results) that I find
worth doing even though it has never done me dirty. I trust it, but
you can never be too careful when it comes to backing up your valued
data, so I'll probably always check it before turning it loose.

>I'd like to hear about BOTH solutions that FIT my criteria AND if
>you know solutions that DON'T (so I don't waste my time in my online
>research).

Hopefully mine will fall somewhere between those two extremes.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.