[Techtalk] Setting up an ADSL router for remote access

David Sumbler david at aeolia.co.uk
Wed Dec 30 11:35:33 UTC 2015

On Wed, 2015-12-30 at 00:21 +0100, Rudy Zijlstra wrote:
> The problem you are describing, can be caused on either your computer or
> hers. That is why i ask whether you also get this problem when you try
> to use Teamviewer to control another computer then your friends. If the
> problem also appears in that case, the issue in probably in the video
> control on your computer.
>
> So trying to determine on which side of the link to look for a solution ;)

As mentioned in my previous email, my latest attempts were made using my
own laptop as the "remote" machine - I am not in possession of my
friend's computer at the moment.  So, yes, logically I suppose the
problem must be with my own desktop computer.

I'll try installing the full TeamViewer on my laptop when I have the
time, and see whether I get better results using that as the local
machine.

On Tue, 2015-12-29 at 18:39 -0500, Little Girl wrote:
> TeamViewer is extremely picky about versions. Are you both using the
> same version of TeamViewer?

I just ran the TeamViewer Quick Support module on the remote machine - I
have not (yet) installed the full version on that computer.  I have
version 11 on the local machine.

On Tue, 2015-12-29 at 21:16 -0800, Deborah Gronke Bennett wrote:
> I would experiment with the "View" menu. My remote computer has two
> monitors. I have to select "show all active monitors" and then
> "View"->"Best Fit" to get a workable display.

I'll certainly try this when I have a chance.

> You might also experiment with what driver you are using in Ubuntu. Some
> graphics devices work better or worse if you use the proprietary driver
> or the generic driver. (I suggest this since you also had problems with
> other programs, which points more to a driver problem with your display).

'sudo lshw -C display' gives:

  *-display
       product: GT216 [GeForce GT 220]
       vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci at 0000:01:00.0
       version: a2
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
       configuration: driver=nouveau latency=0
       resources: irq:16 memory:fd000000-fdffffff memory:e0000000-efffffff memory:de000000-dfffffff ioport:cc00(size=128) memory:fe900000-fe97ffff

The relevant section of the output from 'lspci -v' says:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GT216 [GeForce GT 220] (rev a2) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
	Subsystem: ZOTAC International (MCO) Ltd. Device 1132
	Memory at fd000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
	Memory at e0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
	Memory at de000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=32M]
	I/O ports at cc00 [size=128]
	Expansion ROM at fe900000 [disabled] [size=512K]
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel driver in use: nouveau
	Kernel modules: nouveau, nvidiafb

Do you think that I should experiment with the nvidiafb driver?  I don't
have any issues at all with my video display, except when trying to view
remote desktops.

David