[Techtalk] Setting up an ADSL router for remote access

Rudy Zijlstra rudy at grumpydevil.homelinux.org
Tue Dec 29 23:21:58 UTC 2015

On 29-12-15 23:36, David Sumbler wrote:
> On Tue, 2015-12-29 at 21:40 +0100, Rudy Zijlstra wrote:
>> On 29-12-15 18:09, David Sumbler wrote:
>>> TeamViewer sounded like an excellent suggestion, so this afternoon I
>>> installed it on my desktop computer.  I then did a remote connection to
>>> my laptop, which is connected to my LAN by wifi.  (Both computers are
>>> running Ubuntu 12.04.)
>>>
>>> Unfortunately I find that whilst I can control the 2nd computer from the
>>> 1st, changes to the laptop's display are not replicated in the window on
>>> my main computer.  In other words, I can move windows around, type
>>> characters, start applications etc., but the window on the desktop
>>> computer stubbornly shows the layout as it was at the start and never
>>> changes.  This is odd, because ticking "show remote cursor" does work: I
>>> can see the remote cursor on my screen, and it correctly changes shape
>>> e.g. when it is at the edge of a window on the remote machine, even
>>> though the window is shown in the wrong place on the controlling
>>> machine.
>>>
>> Does it work when you try this with another computer then the one from
>> your friend?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Rudy
> The laptop I am using is my own - my friend's computer has not arrived
> here yet.  But it is the same sort of problem I used to get when
> connecting to her computer via the internet using SSH with Vinagre and
> Remmina.

The problem you are describing, can be caused on either your computer or
hers. That is why i ask whether you also get this problem when you try
to use Teamviewer to control another computer then your friends. If the
problem also appears in that case, the issue in probably in the video
control on your computer.

So trying to determine on which side of the link to look for a solution ;)

If needed i can make a teamviewer session available tomorrow morning,
going to sleep now. I'm an hour ahead of you.

Cheers

Rudy