[Techtalk] accessing stuff over openvpn

Amanda Babcock Furrow alb at quandary.org
Thu Oct 17 00:38:34 UTC 2013

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 03:50:50PM -0700, Carla Schroder wrote:

> I'm revisiting OpenVPN, and I find a I am befuzzled-- I want to use it
> like SSH, and log into a remote machine and run whatever apps I want.

Different network layer from SSH.  You're welcome to run SSH *over* it!

> So what I want to do is start it manually on the client machine
> (laptop), and not force all traffic through the VPN, but have both
> local and tunneled networking. For example, run a Web browser on
> whatever wireless network I'm attached, and use the VPN to check email
> or snag files from my server. Can I do this?

Yes, absolutely, as long as your configuration doesn't force all
traffic through the VPN.  You simply use regular web addresses
to browse, but when checking email/files, reach them by the private
IP addresses belonging to the VPN.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you have about how to
accomplish this.

Thanks,
Amanda Furrow