[Techtalk] Basic connection questions

mgmonza at sdf.lonestar.org mgmonza at sdf.lonestar.org
Tue May 28 03:24:41 UTC 2013

On Mon, 27 May 2013, Akkana Peck wrote:

> But, as I said, I have a hard head so I don't use wicd either. I
> like knowing what's going on under the covers, and having control
> over which network I connect to.

Yes, that's it exactly!  Only with maybe a little less work needed :) ?

>  So over the years I've been
> building up a pair of Python scripts that handle networking,
> so under the hood I have all the wpa-supplicant commands and
> suchlike, but on the commandline I just say something like
> sudo netscheme home, or if I go to a new place,
> netscheme -a to list all the visible accesspoints (iwlist's format
> is so hard to read) and then sudo netscheme [new-ssid-at-coffee-shop]
>
> My scripts aren't something I'm recommending as a turnkey user-level
> solution. The documentation is way out of date and there are plenty
> of bugs. But if you're interested in understanding what's really
> going on with network setup, want to set up your network without
> touchy-feely tools like network manager, or want to beat your
> head against a slightly softer wall, take a look at my repo:
> https://github.com/akkana/netutils

Thank you!  This will give me something productive to chew on, rather than
continuing to rage at a GUI that is, it seems, doing just what its authors
intended:  taking all the muss, fuss and bother (along with the knowledge)
out of connecting to the internet.

  > (I've also found the Python scripts handy on small embedded Linux >
systems where running a desktop and GUI tools aren't an option.)

Ah, yet another motivation - the concept of embedded Linux fascinates me.

> And if you actually think you might want to use something like this, let
> me know and I'll update the documentation and help with anything you're
> having trouble with. (Of course, patches are welcome too!)

I'll definitely be looking into them. Thanks for this.

MG