[Techtalk] Server Boot Loader

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Tue Jan 29 13:38:24 UTC 2013

On 01/29/2013 05:06 AM, Chris Wilson wrote:
> Hi Billie,
>
> On Sun, 27 Jan 2013, Billie Walsh wrote:
>
>> Sometime back I was given an old boat anchor server. Nothing fancy
>> but............. Can't complain about the price. I decided to see
>> about putting it into service here at home. Maybe host my personal
>> web age on it or something. I know virtually nothing about running a
>> server so it's a learning experience for me. Stretch my horizons a bit.
>>
>> It;s an Intel pentium with a hardware RAID array. Right now four
>> disks as one disk. It's running Xubuntu right now but my problem is
>> getting Grub or Lilo to install on the raid array.
>
> I'm afraid if you don't tell us *what* the problem is, we can't hope
> to provide any solutions.
>
> http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#intro
>
> Cheers, Chris.

Part of the problem is my own lack of knowledge. The other part is that
Grub and Lilo will not install on the RAID array without what appears to
be some special VooDoo. As I've said before, this is a hardware RAID.
There are slots for five SCSI hard drives with four installed. The
drives are set up to act as one drive. During boot up the second thing
to happen, after POST, is the Adaptec RAID drivers start.

I am just an average home computer user. I've been using Kubuntu daily
for about five years now and used (Open)SuSE before that for a couple. I
only know one real command line string, and that is to install Synaptic
on a fresh install of Kubuntu [ KDE package manager sucks ]. The only
reason I know that string is because someone taught it to me. No offense
meant, but my own thought is that if I had wanted to use command line
for everything I would have stayed with DOS.

--

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.”
-Albert Einstein