[Techtalk] Accessing a web page on my server - update 3

Sheila Fenelon sheila at shefen.com
Wed Feb 6 00:52:40 UTC 2013

Billie Walsh wrote:

> Reread everything you all have sent and some more web pages besides and
> now my site is the default site on the server. Making major progress.
> It's hard for this old brain to wrap itself around new information. I
> suppose the easy way would have been to just replace the default "It
> Works" page with my site but that seemed like cheating.
>
> What I need to do next is add a second "user" and website for that user.
>
> If I create another file for the new user in the "Sites Available"
> directory and enable it without disabling to "bilwalsh" file will that
> do the trick?

The files in sites-available are for defining virtual hosts, i.e., web sites that are
 distinct from one another. A ServerName line is needed for each new virtual host
defined:

ServerName www.mysite.com

For a normal web server, out on the internet, a single IP address can be set for the
machine and domains hosted on the machine given that IP address.  When traffic for
www.mysite.com reaches the machine, Apache uses the ServerName to lookup which files
to serve.

It's also possible to have multiple IP addresses for a machine, in which case the IP
address can be used when setting up the VirtualHost:

<VirtualHost xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:*>

and ServerName is not needed.
More info here: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/vhosts/

But perhaps you should describe exactly what you are trying to do. If you really want
to allow a Linux user to have a website then I would recommend making UserDir work.
It will be much easier in the long run. Maria's post had the relevant information.

--
Sheila Fenelon
http://www.shefen.com/