[Techtalk] seeking chat client with voice

Meryll Larkin mll at alwanza.com
Thu May 12 10:34:27 UTC 2011

I'm a big Pidgin fan.  I use it for chat & I love that it has a simple
uncluttered interface and that I can access multiple accounts with different
protocols through it and have them all open at the same time.   AND I LOVE
the feature that allows me to have it automatically move to whichever Linux
workspace I am working on - it means I don't miss important incoming office
chat because I've switched to the workspace that has my Windows VM or the
workspace where I keep my Jira tickets open.

But my workplace is thinking of switching to Google Apps talk because it can
carry voice.  I don't like the GUI - and mostly I don't like that I can't
have it follow me from desktop to desktop.  And I don't like that I won't be
able to use any other chat through it - just my work chat, not my husband's
connection, not my connection to my Sys Admin friend - we give each other
good tips about how to implement stuff every so often....

Years ago Pidgin was trying to get voice to work with their client.....

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?  Does anyone use a chat client with
voice that I might be happy with?  Or does anyone have a suggestion about
how I can make Google Apps chat more palatable?

Thanks,
Meryll Larkin