[Techtalk] Home server - Where to start?

Michael Carson techtalk at mike-carson.com
Sun May 8 11:57:00 UTC 2011

Svenja,

I have very similar hardware hooked up to my TV, running Ubuntu, so I think
it's a pretty good idea. :)  My original plan was to just use it as a file
server, backup server, and to do anything I needed cron for.  The
multi-media bit was a bit of mission creep when my wife wanted to be able to
see video podcasts on the TV.

In order to do things with X, I've installed the basic X things
(gnome-desktop &c) and x11vnc (http://www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc/).  I've also
got a keyboard/mouse combo that looks like a Blackberry, except instead of
an LCD it has a touchpad.  It connects over RF to its USB dongle, which then
looks like standard human interface devices to Linux.  I leave X up all the
time, and most of its operation is viewed on the TV and uses the
mini-keyboard.  When I want a real keyboard & GUI, I ssh into the box and
start x11vnc.  Then I can connect via any VNC client, do what I want, and
the VNC display is mirrored on the TV.

For a mail server, you might want to look into
http://www.iredmail.org/index.html.  It looks like it's trivial to set up,
though I've never used it.

C.