[Techtalk] a paucity of available note takers

Anne Wainwright anotheranne at fables.co.za
Tue Sep 21 12:36:55 UTC 2010

Hello, Little Girl,

thanks for your reply, see below

On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 15:50:48 -0400
Little Girl <littlergirl at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey there,
>
> Anne Wainwright wrote:
>
> > I use Gjots2 jotter to record and classify all my linux notes.
> [SNIP]
> > I use Tomboy for personal stuff
> [SNIP]
> > might try Gnotes which is a clone in C++.
> [SNIP]
> > I have a space for ephemeral notes, ones that I might well ditch
> > when I shut down.
> [SNIP]
> > I am just trying Xpad which is suitable small and featureless.
> [SNIP]
> > I'm not looking for an editor where I have to save the stuff under a
> > name and then find that to reopen it if I do want it next time.
> [SNIP]
> > Still, any better ideas?
>
> Both are free and open source:
>
> 1) Notebox Mismanager sounds like a match made in heaven:
>
> http://mismanager.sourceforge.net/
I installed this and have allocated it some tasks to gain familiarity
with it. I must say, not bad, the concept of the 'spreadsheet'
in lieu of a tree is very good and I may well continue using it beyond
the present tasks. It has features well suited to a disorganised person
who needs to be and tries to be organised against their nature,
paradoxical as that may seem.

> The screenshot he shows does *not* do it justice. I use the program
> myself, and could offer better screenshots. It's an unusual,
> eccentric, fascinating little program that allows you to store your
> text in whatever kind of order or disorder you like. (:
>
> 2) Another possibility that I highly recommend is my Book on a Stick
> wiki:
>
> http://bookonastick.wordpress.com/
I downloaded this, I got a warning message when using it on the laptop
so must put it onto a memory stick tonight. I have no idea what I might
use it for  :)