[Techtalk] Cannot get LAMP mysql or php to start

Wim De Smet kromagg at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 14:50:00 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 11:52 AM, Leslie MacDougall <lesmacdee at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Wim, don't know if this helps:
>
>> dpkg -l gave:
>> ii mysql-client 5.1.30really5. MySQL database client (metapackage depending
>> ii mysql-client-5 5.1.30really5. MySQL database client binaries
>> ii mysql-common 5.1.30really5. MySQL database common files
>> ii mysql-server 5.1.30really5. MySQL database server (metapackage depending
>> ii mysql-server-5 5.1.30really5. MySQL database server binaries
>> ii mysql-server-c 5.1.30really5. MySQL database core server files
>
> I had the above result saved from a former email to a friend. Also
> results for the following if you want them.

That's odd, from the other output I would've suspected those
mysql-server packages weren't installed at all. Looks like the status
file is broken then.

> Unfortunately I cannot even open a terminal before my computer
> crashes. (I am sending this email from someone else's windows machine
> :'( !!)
> Any suggestions as to how I can get mine to stay on long enough to
> find and kill the configuration job?

What exactly do you mean by "crash"? Shutdown, black screen, ...? Just
booting up your pc and logging in should work. That doesn't make dpkg
launch, so if any problem were related to that, you should at least be
able to login and open a terminal. The fact that you can't points to
some deeper issue. Perhaps your friend was right and it's a bit of a
lost cause, though if weirdness like this is happening I'm still
inclined to think there's a hardware problem somewhere. You could try
reinstalling in any case.

regards,
Wim