[Techtalk] PHP vs Python

Eeva Järvinen ejarvinen at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 05:16:10 UTC 2010

2010/4/14 Monique Y. Mudama <monique at bounceswoosh.org>

> It seems to me that PHP is almost exclusively used for coding
> websites, whereas Python is used in a much wider domain.  Python
> wouldn't be the first language to spring to mind if I wanted to
> implement a website.  So if you're comparing the two, it seems like an
> odd comparison.
>
> What do you guys think?  Are my impressions of the languages off?

No, I think you're pretty much spot on as far as I can tell. Python is used
for lots of general purpose programming, too, such as lots of Fedora/RH
config tools, but there's plenty of web-specific software written in Python,
too: MoinMoin, Zope and Plone, for example. Python doesn't seem to be used
to code websites directly, the way PHP sometimes is; it seems to be used in
building the infrastructure-y things, such as CMS and application servers.

Eeva