[Techtalk] PHP vs Python

Monique Y. Mudama monique at bounceswoosh.org
Tue Apr 13 21:43:41 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 13 at 11:34, nuhaa penned:
> hola!
>
> the place i work in (Open Source Competency Centre, Malaysia) is
> doing the benchmark for PHP and Python, that at the end of it, the
> report is going to be published to the public.
>
> i would like to ask for some input from both Python & PHP
> developers.
>
> things we're looking at at the moment: - speed - scalability -
> syntax - .. your input here...

I am currently neither a PHP nor a Python developer, but I'm a little
curious about this study.  Are you comparing PHP and Python directly,
or are you doing two unrelated studies, one on PHP, one on Python?

It seems to me that PHP is almost exclusively used for coding
websites, whereas Python is used in a much wider domain.  Python
wouldn't be the first language to spring to mind if I wanted to
implement a website.  So if you're comparing the two, it seems like an
odd comparison.

What do you guys think?  Are my impressions of the languages off?

--
monique