[Techtalk] Writing to CD-RW

Rudy Zijlstra rudy at grumpydevil.homelinux.org
Fri Dec 18 02:33:01 UTC 2009

Anne Wainwright wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just set up a cd-rw to keep my favourite photos on, incrementing them
> over time. I used to do this on Windows, where the cd-rw installs like
> a hard drive and you can drag-and-drop files and it will write to the cd
> automagically.
>
> In ubuntu using the gnome CD/DVD Creator this does not happen, it
> successfully blanks the disk of everything already on it and then writes
> the new stuff to the disk.
>
> I use the F-Spot photo organiser which offers to export to CD, all goes
> well until it gets to this roadblock when it hooks in to CD/DVD Creator.
>
> Have looked at other available cd writing packages like cdrskin and
> mybashburn but do not see that this issue is explicitly covered. Have
> also done a search on my list of techtalk posts going back to only to
> 2006, and also on The Mail Archive, for any relevant discussion.
> Nothing found.
>
> Is this a fundamental difference in cd-rw philosophy on linux, am I
> expecting something I am not going to get?
>
> thanks for assistance in advance
> Anne

Hi Anne,

There are 2 ways of writing an CDROM. On is using ISOFS (and all the
tools you have described use that), the other is using UDF, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Disk_Format for more information.

Although linux can read UDF, i have never investigated writing using UDF
under linux. And what you are describing sounds very much like UDF usage
under windows (which has its own problems).

If it works, you probably have to mount using udf, after which you can
simply drag and drop onto it.

Cheers,

Rudy