[Techtalk] Using rsync to remote backup encrypted files?

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Tue Oct 7 17:04:12 UTC 2008

  I'd be awfully suspicious about using any service that claims to
have gotten around this problem.  Basically, the best encryption gives
away as little info as possible, so changing one byte in the original
has to change a bunch of things (possibly everything) in the encrypted
version, making rsync less useful.  Working around that likely means
giving away additional information, so you'd be weakening the security
guarantees provided by the encryption.  You could get some traction
from a streaming block cipher if you're only changing the end of the
file, maybe, but assuming you're just using gpg, you're probably out
of luck.

If you're working with all servers you control, you can decrypt-rsync-
reencrypt, but that means (at least) two machines would have access to
the secret keys, which may or may not be desirable depending on your
setup.