[Techtalk] computer starts wrongly

Miriam English mim at miriam-english.org
Sat May 31 12:59:05 UTC 2008

Hi and thanks for the suggestions. Sorry I haven't answered earlier.
I've been away.

I swapped over the battery from another of my computers that I'm pretty
sure is only a month old, but the problem persists.

Next I'll try a higher wattage power supply and see if that fixes it.

Cheers,

	- Miriam

R. Daneel Olivaw wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> While reading your answer, and I think it's the correct, the cause
> seems to be the battery.
>
> When switching manually off the ATX power supply, the motherboard has
> no power. The battery being empty, at startup you get the "CMOS data
> corrupted" error, moreover, modern motherboards retain how the computer
> has been shut off last (power button, power outage, ...) and behave
> according to some of the bios parameters (in case of power outage,
> system may power on again as soon as power is back, usefull for
> servers). As bios parameters are blown off, it may think it needs to
> power on the computer after power outage. Bios parameters being
> inconsistent, booting properly is hazardous.
>
> Changing the motherboard battery seems to be the best solution.
> I'd also invest in a small ups that filters the current against power
> surge and undervoltage. But that is just a suggestion ;)
>
> R. Daneel Olivaw,
> The Human Robot Inside.
>
> Le Fri, 23 May 2008 22:23:26 -0500
> Alvin Goats <agoats at compuserve.com> a écrit:
>
>> I had some similar problems, then the real time clock started to act
>> up... try replacing your MB's battery. It does some micropower status
>> that is used by the power supply system to help indicate the front
>> panel switch condition (was it on or off) and other things including
>> the real time clock. With insufficient power, it can get confused
>> about what the state was and do things like you describe.
>>
>> The batteries are only rated to last about 3 to 4 years, so it should
>> be time to replace yours.
>>
>> The battery is the cheapest thing to check out, so I'd do it first
>> before going to far.
>>
>> Hope this helps!
>>
>> Alvin

My time wasn't completely wasted last year.
I went on a 940 million kilometer journey.
-----
Website: http://miriam-english.org
Blog: http://miriam_e.livejournal.com