[Techtalk] Linux file system versus dos/win model

Stephanie witchyway at mac.com
Wed Jul 30 13:41:41 UTC 2008

Hello,

I didn't see it mentioned anywhere within the discussion and thought it might be fun side but related tidbit for the curious.  A while ago I had questions surrounding differences between Linux_FS and DOS_FS.  Especially the whole thing with why the use of a forward slashes in LInux and back slashes in DOS/Windows within file path naming conventions.  Initially I thought I would find that this was MS just trying to assert evil and inconvenience to Linux users but it turns out it was much more benign than that :)....

Basically came across info that explained that DOS/Windows ended up using back slashes in this way because way back when (pre Windows GUI) they implemented the use of forward slashes as the syntax for specifying command line options.  Similar to the use of the short dash, "-" used in Linux for specifying command line options.

E.g. The following DOS command, "ipconfig" will give a basic listing of your computer's LAN info (DNS suffix, IP Address, Subnet, Default Gateway).  However a much more in depth detail is provided by using the "all" option as shown below.

C:\ Documents and Setting\stephanie>  ipconifg /all

              <returns detailed LAN information>

Is it the whole truth of the matter? Not 100% sure, but remember at the time it seemed like a pretty credible explanation.  Unfortunately I don't have a source as it was a while ago, but it probably wouldn't be hard to find.

Enjoy!
:) Stephanie