[Techtalk] Linux file system versus dos/win model

Benjamin M. A'Lee bma at subvert.org.uk
Tue Jul 29 21:46:14 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 11:28:47PM +0200, Anne Wainwright wrote:
> One of the reasons I often read for the superiority of linux over
> windows is oft-touted statement that under linux 'everything is
> mounted on one contiguous file system'
>
> So if I mount my usb stick on linux it comes up on the file system
> under /flash
>
> If I mount it on windows (well, plug it it) then it comes up as 'F'
> with my allocated name of Sahara.
>
> How is this any different? Both are shown on a tree-like structure. I
> can move files from the device to any other part of the tree with
> equal facility.  What am I missing here, what in essence is the real
> difference?

With Windows, you don't have control over where it goes, beyond choosing
a letter for it.

Under Unix/Linux, you can put it anywhere - under /mnt, in your home
directory, etc; the same drive can also be mounted in more than one
different place at a time (mount -o bind).

I wouldn't say it's a massive advantage, but it does allow a little
extra flexibility and control.

Benjamin M. A'Lee || mail: bma at subvert.org.uk
web: http://subvert.org.uk/~bma/ || gpg: 0xBB6D2FA0