[Techtalk] Linux file system versus dos/win model

Anne Wainwright anotheranne at fables.co.za
Tue Jul 29 21:28:47 UTC 2008

Hello,

Looking for some knowledge here.

One of the reasons I often read for the superiority of linux over windows is oft-touted statement that under linux 'everything is mounted on one contiguous file system'

So if I mount my usb stick on linux it comes up on the file system under /flash

If I mount it on windows (well, plug it it) then it comes up as 'F' with my allocated name of Sahara.

How is this any different? Both are shown on a tree-like structure. I can move files from the device to any other part of the tree with equal facility.  What am I missing here, what in essence is the real difference?

bestest
Anne

--
so much to do, so little time :(