[Techtalk] Asus EeePC 4G problem

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Thu Jul 3 00:55:55 UTC 2008

On 07/02/2008 Stephanie Maks wrote:
>  Did you put the new kernel and the updated menu.lst in the
>  'protected' partition or did you do all this while normally booted?
>
>  You need to boot to the 'rescue console' and make sure you have put
>  the new kernel and the updated menu.lst in /dev/sda1, otherwise they
>  are not visible at boot time - the user partition /dev/sda2 is not
>  loaded until after the grub has booted the kernel and loaded the init
>  ram disk.
>
>  -Stephanie

I did F9 on boot. Edited the second line of the normal boot to add
XANDROSBOOTDEGUG=y. Backed out of that and booted from there. Once in
single user mode I "mount /dev/sda1 /mnt-system" then "vi
/mnt/boot/grub/menu.lst". Added the necessary information and ":x" to
save and quit. Shut down and reboot with F9. No changes made.

Not being to sharp with CLI I cheated and put the new kernel into the
/root/grub/ folder using file manager.

As I understand it /dev/sda1 and /device/sda2 file systems are merged
after boot so they appear as a single file system.

Where it actually edits what I have no clue.