[Techtalk] Asus EeePC 4G problem

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Wed Jul 2 03:53:21 UTC 2008

4G model, Xandros with xfce desktop [ advanced desktop ]. I followed the
steps in eeeuser.com to download and install the kernel for 2 gig memory
support. Downloaded the kernel and put it in /boot/ with a link in / [
the normal kernel had one so.... ]. I then added boot instruction for
the new kernel to /boot/grub/menu.lst. I copied the normal boot listing
and pasted it in and changed it to reflect the new kernel. Also set it
to show the grub boot menu on start up and wait 5 seconds before continuing.

Shut down the computer and restarted. It booted straight into the normal
boot. I checked that everything was where it was supposed to be. Shut it
down again and restarted. Same thing. Shut down and restart with F9. The
grub boot menu shows up but not with my changes.

Anyone got any suggestions?