[Techtalk] Getting X to work on Ubuntu Feisty

Tracey C grrliegeek at elenari.net
Tue May 22 17:27:32 UTC 2007

On 5/22/07, Michelle Murrain <michelle at murrain.net> wrote:

> When I restart X, it just hangs. I get a little cursor at the top left
> of the screen, and no indication from the terminal I started X from what
> the problem is.

Can you get to a terminal if you press Ctrl-Alt-F1? If so you may be able to
find out why X won't start. If you can get to a terminal, look at the X
logs. You will probably need to use sudo or be root to view them.  In this
example I'm using the tail command to see the last of the log
$sudo tail /var/log/Xorg.0.log

You're looking for errors, mostly. Things like "no screen found" or
something not being defined.
You could also try grepping the whole file for errors with
$sudo less /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep EE

Let us know if this is helpful :)

--
Tracey C